Ladybug

Monday, January 31, 2011

How Informed Do I Really Want To Be?

Friday, December 11, 2009

I just read a whole bunch of posts from people who have had bad experiences with Lap Band. There were studies sited and personal experiences shared. Sigh. Then there were people not being so nice to the posters. There are flat out denials, but then there is some compromise. Double sigh.

I do understand that this is not magic. I understand that it will be up to me to make good food choices, to chew well, to exercise, and do all of the other things I need to do. I understand that I will need to listen to my body and trust my instincts.

My biggest fear from what I was reading is that I will either feel no restriction or feel so restricted that I'm constantly throwing up. There were several people that had that experience and it scares me because the point of the Lap Band is restriction, but too much is so unhealthy and counterproductive.

My second biggest fear is that my stomach will erode around the band or that I will develop scar tissue on my liver and not realize it until a lot of damage has been done.

I'm certainly not talking myself out of this, but it I can't say that it didn't dampen my spirits a bit this afternoon.

I guess everyone faces the same thing. I am definitely not turned off by how much work it will be, but it is disheartening to think that I will do this, work hard and still could end up in a worse place.

I prefer happy posts. :tongue2:

No comments: