Ladybug

Monday, June 10, 2013

40 by 40 (or Here We Go Again...)

Before I get started with the 40 by 40 commentary.  I have a story. 

A while back I was talking to my mom about dieting.  She mentioned that she was going to dinner with friends and she was going to have to eat dessert which was going to mess up her food plan.  I asked why she had to eat dessert and she explained that her friends don't have weight issues and never have to diet.  So when she refuses dessert, they insist or she feels like they don't understand. I think she feels like they think, "oh, here we go again."

Soon after that, I was talking to a friend about her sister.  She said that she loves her sister, but she gets so annoyed because when her sister is on a diet, they can only go certain places to eat.  I asked if that wasn't a good thing that she was trying to focus on her nutrition.  My friend (who is very sympathetic to my challenges) kind of commented that it just gets annoying because she will diet for a while and then will stop and then will start again...and everyone is like "here we go again."  I talked to her a little bit more about my mom's story and about myself, how I have to work really hard to lose weight and how that isn't easy to do all the time so it comes and goes.  I think it gave her another perspective.

Cue to a little later and I was talking to BFF about my 40 by 40 plan.  Just to be clear, BFF is like a sister to me and there are few that would want success for me more than her!  I forget her exact words, so I don't want to misquote.  However, I know that her point was that she has known me long enough to see my ebbs and flows and she supports whatever I need to do to be successful.  But for just a minute...instead of hearing the support...I just heard "here we go again." 

When I first got my lap band, I decided to show, not tell.  It wasn't a secret, but I was so convinced that I would be successful that I let that success do my talking.  I was successful!  I'm still successful!  But now I need to refocus and I need to stop with the half-hearted stuff, because while that helps me maintain, it does NOT help me lose.  I think in my head I feel like "here I go again."  I need to insist to MYSELF that I can do this and that I WILL do this.

Which brings me to my 40 by 40 Challenge.  My goal is to lose 40 pounds by my 40th birthday.  I just turned 39, so I have a year.  I went back and looked at the things that helped make me successful before and I'm returning to those behaviors:
  • Pre-plan and log food.  This is a big deal.  If I don't know what I'm eating for the entire week on Sunday, then I know by Thursday, things will not go well. 
  • No bread.  This is the only thing I'm ruling out.  (Except one vacation pizza exemption for this weekend.)  Bread is my gateway food.  If I'm eating it, I have a tough time controlling it.  I gave it up fully for nine months and then controlled it for over a year.  Time to take it away for a while!
  • Drink in moderation. 
  • In fact, everything in moderation. It all depends on if it fits in the food plan for the day.
  • Blog and other accountability.  I need to tell myself what I'm doing each day and I need to tell people how I'm doing.  I tend to hide it when things aren't going well. 
  • Work out.  I usually do well with this, but I need to push it.  I pulled out my FitBit and I'm going to give tracking a go.
I'm getting a fill on 6/18, so that will help.  For almost a year, I didn't have much restriction.  I was trying to do it on my own.  I'm not good at that, obviously.  It will limit what I can eat which will be annoying because I haven't dealt with that in a long time, but it will help with the hunger.  If I sacrifice now, in a year, I won't remember all the sacrifices, but I will be happy with the results!

One thing I wish I would have blogged more is what I ate.  I'm having trouble finding good things to make and bring for lunches.  I need some good ideas.  Today, I had egg beaters with mushrooms & cheese for breakfast.  I made chicken salad with light sour cream & mustard for lunch.  A prosciutto wrapped mozzarella stick for a snack.  Also have sugar free Popsicles and some soup if I need it.  Dinner is a spinach salad.

One day at a time, right?!

Hugs!


8 comments:

Sarah said...

One day at a time is absolutely RIGHT! Hugs, girlfriend! Go get it!

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Laura Belle said...

You know, I was just having a conversation....aka argument.....w/ the hubby about this. About me being strong for awhile, then slipping back into my old habits. Granted I'm pregnant now and all I want is a Butterfinger dipped in mint ice cream topped with 18 donut holes. But still. I think everyone has their ups and downs. We're human. Humans have faults. Some of us are good at health, some of us have to work our asses off and watch what we shove in our hole 24/7. (I'm the latter.)

I think it's great you're setting goals again!!! And you ARE a success in your health/weight loss! Look how far you've come!!! You can do this.....again....and again, if need be.

Go get 'em girl!

Tina@The BanditGirl said...

I just had to re-commit myself! Good Luck! I know you can do it.

Lap Band Gal said...

Lovin your refocus and refreshing perspective! :-) onwards!

Cheri said...

I am so glad to see you back blogging! It is really interesting to hear the honest perspectives of your mom's friends and your friend. It is an interesting balance to negotiate speaking up what our needs are, but not expecting everyone to have to accommodate us to their expense. I don't think someone should feel forced to eat a dessert on one end of the spectrum, but then I don't think a group should have to change restaurants on the other end. I just did a massive comment on this on another blog, lol. I realized this was probably what a lot of my emotion was about on our Disney trip! Negotiating my food needs. I wasn't used to having to speak up, and it was hard for me and I didn't like doing it. Guess I should blog instead of all these long comments. ;-D

Cat said...

Hi Hero!! It's been a while. /hugs Guess what? I tried Cross Fit!! I'm not sure it's for me, but I do like what I think it's doing for my muscles. I think of you and I feel all bad ass.

I get what you mean about "Here we go again". That's exactly how I was feeling when I gave up my blog. I was done always starting over, etc etc. I always have admired you and know you can do whatever you put your mind to, and you are absolutely already a success in your health and fitness.

I've missed you. /hugs Cat

Vanessa said...

So with you! - One day at a time. I'm starting again and my inner voice is all "here we go again".
Fresh food and moving that body - thats my plan

Dawnya said...

As long as you never give up...it doesn't matter how many times you have to start. Just keep going. Eventually, it won't be a start over...it will become second nature. I know you can do it. I have seen you do it before. You got this...and tons of support from all of us here in blogland.