Ladybug

Monday, August 5, 2013

Wake Up Call

Last night I had a bit of a wake up call.  Okay, now I have Adam Levine in my head, but that's a regular occurrence so moving on...

For the last several weeks, I have been super diligent about logging my food and activity during the week.  I have been shooting for 750-1000 calorie deficits per day and succeeding!  I did not log on Saturday or Sunday with the thought that I was roughly breaking even on those days.  After further review (and two weeks in a row of less than a pound weight loss), I discovered that is SO not the case.

I lie to myself.

I honest to God thought I had gotten past this.  I find comfort in the fact that I really don't think I was doing it on purpose.  Let's review the week, shall we?

Burned Eaten Deficit
Monday             2,590       1,329      1,261
Tuesday             2,521       1,120      1,401
Wednesday             2,217       2,361        (144)
Thursday             2,644       1,529      1,115
Friday             2,262       2,660        (398)
Saturday             2,552       2,843        (291)
Sunday             2,062       2,270        (208)
           16,848     14,112      2,736

Let's evaluate...  Obviously, Monday and Tuesday were great.  Both days I went to CrossFit and also worked out at lunch.  I also averaged about 1200 calories which is my goal.

Wednesday was BFF's birthday.  I only worked out in the morning AND I was significantly higher on calories.  I will say that I didn't have nutrition information for my meals out that day, but I did try to log conservatively.  In looking back at my food log, the one thing that stands out is that I had a cupcake and ice cream that afternoon for over 500 calories.  Even if I would have just cut out the ice cream, that would have made a difference and it would have put me at a calorie deficit for the day.

Thursday I worked out at lunch and went to Jazzercise, so the calories burned was great!  I was 300 higher on my calories than I would like, but honestly, most everything on the menu that day was good calories.  Happy there.

Friday.  Oh, Friday.  I did go to CrossFit, but honestly, CrossFit isn't great cardio and doesn't burn a lot of calories (however, it does build muscle to help you burn more calories throughout the day, so I'm not complaining!)  But obviously, my problem here was calories.  We had a catered lunch and looking at my food diary, the only thing that I probably should have changed was the bread.  I had given up bread for a while, but the dinner roll looked so good (and it was!) that I ate it.  If I would have cut that out, my lunch would have been fine.  But the big no-no was the piece of chocolate cake I had.  Don't get me wrong, it was delicious.  But I should have at least cut it in half. 

For dinner we went to Joe's Crab Shack.  I thought I was doing well getting a steampot, but that sucker had over 1000 calories!!  WOW!!  Okay, well, lesson learned there.  Looking back at my food diary, I wish I would have cut the roll and the cake in half.  That would have left me close to breakeven for the day.

Saturday I went to Jazzercise so my calories burned was good.  But in a week moment, I let myself buy Ritz chips at the store.  It had been a long time since I had gotten them.  But just like Nutella, I cannot ration Ritz chips.  I can tell myself I will.  But I won't.  I CAN'T BUT THESE ANYMORE.  Period.  Full Stop.  If I would have made a different choice, I feel confident I would have saved at least 500 calories for the day.  I can't ignore that.

Sunday is almost always my rest day.  My issue with food on this day is that I had the chips & guacamole at Chipotle.  If I would have cut the chips in half I would have been under breakeven.

This analysis helped me see that just a few tweaks (not starvation, not banning all treats) would have changed my calorie intake by over 1,500 which is close to 1/2 pound.  These are the choices I need to focus on.

I know that my detailed analysis of food intake is probably not fun reading, but this exercise was very helpful to me. 

Goals for the week:
8 work outs
750-1000 calorie deficits M-Th
Make good choices while on vacation F-M.

All in all, the scale is going in the right direction and I'm feeling so very good!  That is the most important thing.

Hugs!

3 comments:

KajunDee said...

Interesting post for me. I don't look @ my deficits, I try to stay in my specific calorie range & try to do my workouts. I plan to look @ that more closely now.

Cat said...

I loved this blog post and it really hits home with me. I too lie to myself. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I know I'm not the only one who will benefit from this exercise! /heart u

Momee3021 said...

My calories get away in a second if I dont pre plan everything. Today I told my friend that I had to only eat at home until I reached goal (which is silly but true) since I can't find my will power when Im in a social setting - ahh! But you're doing awesome and the chart is a great idea and I'll have to steal it. thanks ;P ps Love the new pic!