Ladybug

Monday, September 9, 2013

Fit"Bit" the Dust and other Monday Musings

Friday

Friday night BFF & I went to see our friend's art show in Dallas.  It is at the library of Baylor hospital in Dallas.  It was cool because all of the artwork in the show was inspired by slides she bought at an estate sale.  The slides were from an ophthalmologist and showed all of these different eye diseases.  From them, she made beautiful art.  Here is one of my favorites.
 There were a few that actually looked like eyes, but most (like the one above) looked like something else entirely.  They are amazing, I think.

Saturday

I got up at 4:00am to get ready to head downtown to volunteer for the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb.  This event is held in many different cities for first responders to honor the lives of firefighters and policemen that were lost on 9/11 or subsequently from injuries incurred or diseases developed from the events of 9/11.  They cap the number of climbers at 343 firefighters and 70 police officers to represent those that have been lost to date.  Each one carries around their neck the name and picture of the person they are climbing for.  It is just a beautiful thing.

BFF & I ended up at the merchandise table outside which was the perfect place for us.  We were selling t-shirts, taking credit card orders and in a groove almost immediately.  They said that we were hired for next year.  Ha!  Unfortunately, the merchandise table was in the back of the building where the climbers end up, so we missed all of the opening ceremonies going on in the front of the building.  I wish I would have seen that.  But I do feel that we contributed, so that's good.  We were so tired...


Once the climb started, each climber had to go up to the top of the 55 story building, then take the elevator to the bottom and do it all over again.  I spoke with a few of the climbers who said that floors 2-5 on the second half of the climb were just brutal.  Yikes!  One guy told us a story of last year, when he was watching the climbers on the live feed (there are monitors all around where you can watch) and one guy was obviously struggling.  Did I mention that they climb in full gear?  Yeah.  So, anyway, this guy was struggling and he stopped and you just see his helmet as he put his head down.  He was looking at the face of the lost person he was climbing for.  He took a deep breath and kept moving.  He didn't stop climbing because those people on 9/11 didn't stop climbing.  It brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it.

During one of my restroom breaks, I was walking through the lobby where the climbers finished.  And witnessed one of the sweetest things...

What a special way for him to end the climb.  It was emotional for everyone around them.  Just lovely.

After the event was over, I went home and took a 3 hour nap.  No joke.  I was exhausted!!  I didn't even do the darn climb!

After I woke up, I found out that the Olympics...
...will be in Tokyo in 2020.  I was pulling for Istanbul, but I'm sure that Tokyo has a better infrastructure in place.  So, in 3 years I will be going to Brazil and 7 years Japan.  How exciting is that??  BFF & I went and had sushi.  It seemed appropriate.  :-)

Sunday

What was Sunday?  Oh yeah, the return of FOOTBALL and Red Zone!  I have a little crush on Scott Hanson.  I have to say, I was a little sad to see the glasses go.  But it was a super fun day of sitting directly in front of the TV for 7 hours watching play after play.  LOVE IT!

I went to church Saturday night so I could sleep in on Sunday, but I did mange to go to breakfast and get a little snuggle time with my godson.  I also watched the Rangers win.  Woohoo!

Also, I washed my Fitbit.  It is totally dead.  I put it in a bowl of rice like the website said, but hopefully it will revive when I get home tonight.  That little thing holds A LOT of inspiration for me.

Monday

This is like the longest post ever.  I went to CrossFit this morning and my favorite trainer totally called me out for not being consistent.  I should be very consistent for the next month though.  I'm committed to a super great Challenge month...more on that tomorrow.

We worked on pistols today.  Those are the one-legged squats.  I seem to be able to do them with one leg tucked behind the other, but I can't even come close with one leg straight out.  Lots of work to do.  My glutes are going to be hurting tomorrow!!

WOD was 5 rounds:
5 Power Cleans (supposed to body weight...yeah right.  I did 95#)
10 Jumping Lunges (I did regular lunges)
100m sprint (walk back)
2:00 rest

I was happy with my workout and I had the sweatiness to show for it!

Happy Monday and Hugs!!

2 comments:

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

That sweat is epic. I love it.

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

That sweat is epic. I love it.